Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spilling Ink: Day 1 & To Be An Effective Leader

On Monday, May 31, Melinda Miller (@mmiller7571) retweeted the following:
“@teachergirl89: "Spilling Ink" challenge... blogging every day in June...Who's up for it? http://tinyurl.com/nc7gg3” anyone?“

Well, I told Melinda that I would if she would and she told me that she would if I would. So, I guess that settles it. We both will.

I’ve decided to start my month of blog-a-day by answering the following job application question that I recently wrote. Here is part one:
Describe the knowledge, skills, and qualities one should embody to be an effective educational leader.

Being an effective educational leader requires a complex set of knowledge, skills, and qualities. There is a temptation to think that the principal must know it all, be able to do it all, and be everything to everyone. While this is not possible, the effective educational leader must never stop acquiring knowledge; the principal must use that knowledge with a variety of skills to create the conditions for learning; and the effective educational leader must embody a diverse set of qualities so that his vision is inclusive and attainable. Effective educational leadership starts with a wide-ranging knowledge.
...

Tune in tomorrow for more about the knowledge that an effective educational leader needs.

As always, I would love to hear your comments.

1 down, 29 to go.