"What do you need from your principal?"
The answers ranged from very practical to very theoretical. When put all together, these needs represent a healthy school culture eager to get to know the new guy.
As my own nearly-mid-year review of these ideas, I decided to categorize the answers and self-assess as I go (more about that in a future post). Just like all categorization efforts, this one is highly subjective and open to much interpretation. In any case, I came up with seven main categories:
- Practical support
- Special Edcuation
- Teacher Support
- Miscellaneous Leadership Qualities
I've included, under each category, the specific needs from the notecards. Some caveats: I split some cards as they included several different needs, I've left out several with identifying information, there were some notecards that had a variation of "I don't know."
So, here it is, the evidence that led me to create this top seven list.
|Reeding Lessons CC|
- Help to find a pullout space for individual/small group instruction.
- I need help ordering equipment. I need help getting permission for special events.
- Please help to get custodian to build the shelves that were promised & order teaching carts if not done already.
- Larger budget.
- Recess duties are shared equally among all paras.
- Prep time with team teacher.
- I need professional development opportunities to grow my understanding/use of technology.
- I have no computer. How would I integrate technology without technology? Only one day a week, I don't want to run around the building to find what I need: A computer & projector would save paper (photocopies).
- I would like to have admin access to download some programs that I want to implement this year. Ex. Voicetalk, iTunes, animoto etc. I can get you a list of these sites if you wish.
- I'd love the use of 4 laptops each morning.
- laptop, probably a bunch of techy stuff
- I want patience with technology, I'm working on it all the time.
- Strong LEA rep
- I need support in getting teachers more invested in the special Ed process. Follow through on IEP timeliness on progress reports, setting parent meetings
- Support for my masters work and a consistent sub on the days I miss.
- I need continued support in my room for academic and behavioral (both at the same time :).
- Larry needs to be the point man on the administrative team and advocate for us.
- Support for behavioral needs in my classroom.
- I would like visits (could be informal) and feedback - constructive criticism.
- I love to see walkthroughs during class time to just connect as to what I'm teaching the children! (certainly not weekly, when you can)
- Need feedback on my teaching.
- I need your availability to answer my questions
- I need you to be available for small questions that can be seemingly unimportant on the larger scale, but can cause me from being able to move forward in my job.
- In the past I have worked closely with the principal as social, emotional ok behavioral issues arise with our kids. It would be great to have a discussion on how you would like our collaboration to work.
- Bridging a gap in regards to part-time communication.
- Open, clear communication - like the "Monday Memo."
- Straight talk
- You may hear me, but are you listening (not you personally, just anyone I talk to!)
- I will do my best to check my email and I need face to face communication.
Miscellaneous Leadership Qualities
- Flexibility, but stability
- Leadership that is fair for all, keep your sense of humor and always remember the reason we are here - kids!
- Humor, flexibility, patience
- Open to suggestions
- Ideas, time, direction
- Respect, support
- Be a leader.
Sums it all up
- I need from my principal: support, teaching job next year :) strong communication, respect and honesty
Teachers and staff: What would you add to this list? What do you want from your principal.
Principals: What's missing here? What have staff and teachers asked from you that I have not listed?
Please add your ideas to the comments.
cross posted to Connected Principals
cross posted to Connected Principals